Sunday 10 February 2013

Christakis, Smithdown Rd, Liverpool

Smithdown Road seems to be the new foodie haven of Liverpool. Underrated and overlooked by some, the area is sometimes viewed as student central and home of the raucous Finch and Firkin or whatever they call it these days (I'm showing my age now). Christakis is a ray of Mediterranean sunshine, occupying the site that us 1980s babies knew as Suzy's Cafe. Little did I think I'd be revisiting my much-loved greasy spoon 15 years later, albeit reincarnated as a Greek taverna!

In stark contrast to the city centre Christakis, famed for its hen night antics, this is a more civilised affair, perfect for solo diners, families and couples alike. After my most recent Greek experiences in Liverpool which were disappointing (Zorbas and Romios), I was hoping this would fit the bill. I can't afford to keep going to Manchester's Kosmos for my Greek fix!

To start, I had this delicious Melitzanosalata, my staple diet. This was served with warm bread. Top marks for not charging for the bread, unlike some eateries.


After much deliberation over the main event, I settled for a veggie Moussaka. All mains are served with beautiful fat chips which are like roast potatoes, a Greek salad (and I mean horiatiki with huge hunks of feta, not limp lettuce!) and rice.


What can I say? Christakis ticked all the boxes. Huge portions, friendly staff, value for money, spacious surroundings and the cutest tropical fish I have ever seen as the central focus in the dining area. Liverpool has a new Greek temple.

Christakis on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Vindaloo Kings and Queens!