Thursday 25 March 2010

The Light of Bengal, Aigburth Rd, Liverpool

A typically traditional English Indian.....


The Light of Bengal has been around for many years now but is often overshadowed by the nearby, overhyped 'trendy' Lark Lane eateries. With the Light of Bengal, what you see is what you get, a good, proper traditional Indians. It's uncool, has chintzy carpets and chipping paint, but that's what makes it charming. The people who eat here know what to expect and the LoB has 'regulars'.
I tried the popadoms which came with an impressive array of chutneys and sat in a cosy booth. The paint was chipping off the wall but I overlooked this as I tucked in to my fresh pops. For my main, I ordered Madras; it was very potent but it got a big thumbs down for the veg- frozen rubbish from the nearby Iceland. The restaurant was so pleasant, I was prepared to overlook this error as it was a Ronseal restaurant- it does what it says on the tin.

As I said, nothing impressive, nothing awful-just reasonable Indian fayre without pretentions which would set you up for a good night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Vindaloo Kings and Queens!