Tuesday 27 April 2010

May Sum, Liverpool



An all-you-can-eat treat to please even the fussiest diner!

I have always been a bit apprehensive about going to a buffet restaurant. First of all, there is the 'chav' stereotype. To be politically incorrect, I mean hordes of obese benefit claimants shovelling food in like pigs at a trough. Then there is the 'school canteen' image. And then my fear of the food being poor quality like that of all-inclusive hotels in Benidorm. However, today I decided to take the plunge.

May Sum has been a staple on the Liverpool Chinese scene since the beginning of the 21st century, the age of the buffet restaurant. Several people have recommended it to me and after much Googling of menus last night, I decided to give it a whirl. (Regular readers know that I am veggie, so a good choice of veggie dishes are important for me).

what a treat it was! To start, I had veggie hot and sour soup, followed by spring rolls and onion rings. Other starters included curried samosas, prawn toast and ribs. I then moved on to the main event-a generous portion of vegetable vermicelli, Szechuan bean curd, egg fried rice and salt 'n' pepper potatoes. At this point I was fit to burst but I managed to note the other dishes; egg foo yung, veggie chow mein, garlic broccoli and a generous beef and chicken selection. The salad bar looked interesting too, a crispy fresh selection of red onions, cherry tomatoes and a few prepared salads. I made room for a strawberry ice cream and pineapple dessert, but looking back, I wish I would have sampled the Banana Fritter!

For £6.50, this place is excellent value and the drinks weren't overpriced either. I digested my meal with a refreshing pot of Chinese tea. I visited midweek lunchtime and it was only a third full, but I don't think I'd chance queuing up for buffet of a night. I will definitely go back for a lunch feast though!

May Sum on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Vindaloo Kings and Queens!