Monday 26 April 2010

Snax, Edinburgh

In my fight against boring chains like McDonalds and Starbucks, I like to visit independent local businesses as they are usually cheaper, friendlier and you don't leave hungry! My recent discovery is Snax in Edinburgh.

Snax is a greasy spoon and has 3 branches. Despite being a greasy spoon, it offers lovely healthy options like Lentil Soup and Jackets filled to burst with Meditteranean salad. I discovered this hidden gem by chance. I was walking along Princes St, refusing to go in a touristy cafe which charges 6 quid for a sarnie when suddenly, I saw the Snax menu advertised. I followed the signs to what looked like a derelict building and passed a few tramps drinking White Lightning. A wild goose chase, I thought. Then I saw it! It was cosy and friendly with a tasty, varied menu. It's the type of chippy/greasy spoon you can even bring your fussy friend on a diet too as they even do lovely fresh salads-technically, it's not such a greasy spoon! Tourists will love this place as it is conveniently located close to hotels and they can get a breakfast here for £3, as opposed to £15 in their hotel.

The one thing that spoils this place is that it is patronised by every motorist's worst enemy- the Traffic Warden. Don't let this sight put you off though!

Snax on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Vindaloo Kings and Queens!